5 great reasons to get juicing, with a juicer that’s just right for you
Saying that juicing is healthy is like saying that eating candy is not. But while the benefits of juicing have been well promoted, sometimes it just takes an impressive stat or two to really get us to stand up and pay attention.
This may be one of those ‘aha’ moments. Did you know that 95% of the vitamins and enzymes our bodies need to thrive are found in the juice of raw fruits and vegetables?* To get these vitamins and enzymes, we could certainly eat our fruits and vegetables whole, but if we did, we may not have time for much else. To get the same amount of nutrients found in a 16 oz. glass of fresh, natural juice, you would have to eat two pounds of carrots, about a dozen apples or eight pounds of spinach. Even Popeye might get sick of that.
Juicing is certainly an easy way to get your fill. If you struggle with getting the recommended daily amount of fruits and vegetables, juicing makes it possible to get them all in in just one drink. And beyond the efficient, time-saving nature of drinking your vitamins, the additional benefits of juicing are many, and are certainly not limited to the following list. But if you are looking for five no-brainer reasons to try it, here they are:
1. Boosted immunity. Juicing is high in antioxidants, which not only helps boost your immune system, but it also can help you recover more quickly when you do fall ill.
2. More energy. Juicing removes the fiber from you fruits and vegetables, so the juices are more easily digested. This conserves our body’s energy, so many people feel energized after a glass of fresh juice (opposed to that feeling, say, after Thanksgiving dinner!). Of course fiber is a good thing, so make sure to include it in your diet aside from juicing. But for a quick burst of energy, juice is the word.
3. Weight loss. The great enzymes in fresh fruit and vegetables are easily converted into energy when you absorb them a natural juice, which helps increase your metabolic rate. The higher your metabolism, the easier it is for you to burn calories naturally, even while you’re sleeping!
4. Healthier (insert your preference here) Skin, Hair, Nails. The best way to acheive healthy hair, skin and nails is through your diet. Fruits and vegetables known to produce beneficial results include cucumbers, ginger, seaweed (or green leafy vegetables) and lemon. Just think about all the lotions and spa products that boast these foods in their goods. Drinking them is like taking the express train.
5. Drinking your veggies may be a tastier way to go. Juicing helps most people eat a wider variety of vegetables; those that might not be as appealing in their whole form can be “snuck” into a blended juice with tasteful success. When kale is blended with apples, ginger, lemon and honey (as in this juice recipe from Seamis Mullen), it’s pretty darn delicious.
So, if you’re feeling “juiced” about all of this, you’re ready to take juicing for a spin in your own home. Other than the grocery store or farmer’s market, your first stop is your favorite kitchen department store. At Snow’s, we have several options to fit any use…and any budget.
Note: Linked items are available in our online store. All items are available at our retail store in Orleans.
What’s the Best Juicer for You?
Black & Decker Citrus Juicer $19.99
- Basic electric citrus juicer
- Squeezes directly into a refrigerator-ready serving pitcher
- Adjustable pulp control
- Small & Large Cones For Differing Sized Fruit
Cuisinart Citrus Juicer with Pulp Control $29.99
- Brushed metal finish is a stylish addition to a stainless steel kitchen
- 3 pulp control settings
- “Auto-reverse” and “final spin” features to extract the maximum amount of juice
- Includes recipes
Waring Pro Juice Extractor $79.99
- More efficient juice extraction gets more out of your fruits and vegetables
- Extra large feed tube and large, 32 oz. stainless juice catcher
- Safety interlock system: won’t start until lid is securely in place
- Includes Waring’s 5-year limited warranty on motor and 1-year limited appliance warranty
- Sleek stainless steel finish; solid die cast base and cushioned feet
Breville Compact Juice Fountain $99.99
- High quality; Breville is a respected brand name in juicers
- Heavy-duty juicer in a compact size
- Extra-large feed tube
- Stainless-steel micro-mesh filter
Breville Juice Fountain Plus $149.99
- Professional-grade power juicer
- Brushed die-cast metal base
- Different speeds for soft / hard fruits & veggies
- Keeps cold as fruits & veggies turn into juice
- Juice pitcher includes froth separator
- Large pulp catcher (less trips to empty it out)
- Juices whole fruit and vegetables – no cutting or chopping is required
- Patented extra large feed chute
Hurom Premium Slow Juicer $399.99
- Newest generation of “slow juicer” models: low-speed crushing & pressing mechanism produces highest juice yield
- Unique technology maintains up to 60% more vitamins when juicing certain fruits and vegetables
- Makes smoothies, slushes, blended drinks and purees in addition to any kind of juice
- Maximum pulp control
- 2 strainers (1 fine, 1 coarse) to juice softer fruits like bananas and avocados, or rougher ingredients like kale, wheatgrass and even nuts and soybeans (strainer is made of ULTEM plastic, 8x stronger than other plastics)
- Durable (& quiet) 150-watt motor with 10 year warranty
With a juicer in hand (and the motivation to add to your healthy lifestyle), all you need are some recipes. There are more out there than you could ever possibly use (a quick Google of “juicing recipes” yielded over 2.5 million search results!), but we hand picked a few to address some specific concerns. Happy juicing!
FOR WEIGHT LOSS
Sweet and full of healthy nutrients, this juice will keep you full and help you slim down. From Juicing for Weight Loss & What’s Cooking America.
- Shredded coconut for sweetness
- 2 small zucchini
- ½ medium cucumber
- ¼ small red cabbage
- 1 peeled orange
- 2 red apples
- 1 cup of blueberries
- 4 white cauliflower florets
- 4 kale leaves
Everything can go into your juicer whole, just peel the orange to remove the skin (but leave the nutrient-rich white pith).
A wide variety of mineral-dense fruits and veggies can help increase your energy level. A key tip: always include greens, and beets, too – they are a secret weapon. Beets have many benefits, but one of the best is that they can increase the body’s production of glutathione, which helps detoxify cancer-causing poisons. Recipe from Linda Wagner.
- 4 beets (you can include the green tops too!)
- 5 carrots
- 2 heads romaine lettuce
- 1 large handful parsley
- 2 apples
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1 inch knob of ginger
- 1 cucumber
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 lemon
- 2 tangerines
- 1 large bunch of mint
Simply run all ingredients through a juicer, serve over ice and enjoy! This recipe made a LOT of juice, over 64 ounces. If you want less juice, simply cut the recipe in half. This juice is delicious and you’ll love the pretty pink color!
FOR AN IMMUNE BOOST
Recipe from bodyandsoul.com
When it comes to the immune system, two vitamins are particularly crucial: A and C. This juice has both and gives you more than 100% of your daily recommended intake.
- Thick slice of ginger
- 3 medium carrots
- 4 stalks of celery
- 4 kiwi fruit
- A handful of parsley
ONE THE KIDS WILL LOVE
This is so easy, and it’s a good way to sneak in something green. Nice and light, so the kids won’t turn their noses up at the heartier juices ou might be enjoying. From Disneybaby.com: they call it “Giggle Juice.”
- 1 large cucumber
- 1 thick slice of watermelon